Monday, August 14, 2006

Not My Day to Die - Part II

If you are just joining us, you will want to read Part I to catch up.

I finally woke up in the emergency room at the hospital, but had no clue where I was or what had happened. McD said he had never seen me so scared. I tried and tried to re-make the face but it never worked. Apparently when I am really, really scared I thrash about. As I was thrashing about I kicked my Granny in the head, flashed my whole family (all of my clothes were gone at this point), and tried to remove the tubes that were down my throat. Needless to say, they had to restrain me. It took 3 or 4 people to hold me down. I don't know for sure, because I don't remember any of this, and I have heard it both ways - 3 and 4. When the restraints did not work completely, I still tried to pull the tubes out of my mouth, they gave me an injection to induce a coma state.

I was taken to the Critical Care Unit and stayed there in a coma state for a few days. During all this time the doctors are running tests and trying to figure out what happened. My chart says I had a Sudden Cardiac Death. Basically, I just dropped dead. That happened on Saturday. Thank goodness I don't remember anything. My medical chart says I had several blood gasses, where they test how much oxygen is in your blood. They are really, really painful! But I don't remember them. On Wednesday they moved me to a regular room. Then on Thursday they took me to surgery and implanted an internal defibrillator. If you are not familliar with the defibrillator they are what you see on television on like ER on the crash cart. It has the paddles that they put on you and yell, "Clear" and then shock you with volts of electricity. Mine is smaller and is implanted in my chest on the left side. It has two leads that are connected to my heart and if my heart rate gets too high or too low then it will shock it back into a normal rhythm. It also has a pacemaker, but mine is turned off.

They determined that my heart began beating so fast that it stopped pumping and was basically quivering. Thanks to this little device, I call it my battery back-up, I don't worry much about it happening again. I cannot go through metal detectors or have the wand used on me at airports. So I am frisked each time. People wonder why I would rather drive, now they know.

The day after my surgery I was able to go home. It was my birthday, and the best birthday present I could ever receive. Although McD gave me a nice gift while I was in the hospital. I will touch on that another time. This is getting rather long again, so I will tell ya about getting shocked another time.

13 Comments:

Blogger M J said...

Oh My Goodness! Julie! What a story.

One question... did you see the "light"?

8/14/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

Wow, Julie, that is so scary! I guess it was definitely not your time to go, thank goodness. And poor McD. I can't imagine having to go through that. If anything like that ever happened to my husband I don't think I'd be able to function until he was back and kicking.

8/14/2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

The whole time I was reading part1 and part2 my heart was beating fast! WOW! Now I know why your blog is titled "Another Chance Ranch" - you did receive the best gift of all....LIFE!

8/14/2006 11:21 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

OH - just wanted you to know I thought this story was great and have made it my "weekly delight" (on my sidebar!)

8/14/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

How scary. I went to highschool with a kid that had an internal defibulator.....and you could always tell when he would get a little shock.

Good think you had fast thinking people around you when it happened.

8/14/2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

It's been busy at 'the dust' so I haven't had chance to catch up til this lunch hour.

I heard someone else have this very same thing -- and has a defib in their chest.

You are one of very few miracles that I've had the honor to meet.
(well, meet in the the two dimensional form, anyway!!!)

So pleased ! ! ! !

8/14/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Julie, again, so glad you are still with us! Thanks for sharing your experience.

8/14/2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Shit! I'm glad I didn't say mine was the worst episode ever! I would really have been embarassed reading yours.

That's the most dramatic true life account I've ever read.

Just one thing though, can you get FM on your defib?

Argh! I just got a 3,000 letter verification! teach me not to be a smartarse!

8/14/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

I was just thinking the same thing karmyn said - this story gives a whole new meaning to "Another Chance Ranch"!

Life is fragile.

8/14/2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger Pioneer Woman said...

I already knew this story, but I'd never known all the details.
I feel like a whimp for not wanting to fly anywhere. At least you have a good reason.

Butch is so fortunate you were given ANOTHER CHANCE!

Thanks for sharing.

8/14/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

I bet you look at each day differently now. It's just great that your problem could be diagnosed and remedied so quickly. Thanks for sharing that very personal experience!

8/14/2006 11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Omygoodness hope you are doing fine

8/15/2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Marnie! I didn't see the light! If I did, I don't remember it. But that has been the most popular question since my "episode." That is what we call it.

Jessie - you are hit the nail on the head. It tore me up thinking about what he went through during that whole week. It still bothers me so I try not to think about it. :) But I have been told that he handled things very well!

Karmyn r - if I had a prize to give it would go to you!! You got it! That is a big reason I named this blog - Another Chance Ranch! There are several things/people in my life that have had another chance. Thank goodness each of us have taken the chance and ran with it. And THANKS! I am a weekly delight. I am headed to your blog to check it out!! YEAHH!!

Cheeky - little shock? I am just getting ready to post the story about my "little" shock that wasn't so little!
I was blessed that Frank was right behind me. :) If it had only been Butch, I would have died.

Wow, this is getting long.

Pamela, songbird, susan, msugal86, and cpa mom - Thanks for all your kind words. It truly changed my life.

dakota - I am doing great! Thanks for asking. I have one more post to go about my "episode." It will touch on my health today.

Ree - I honestly don't remember if I told you the story or if someone else did. But I tend to give a very short version when face to face with someone. :) Sorry.

WT - WT - WT - I am a bit upset with my reception, I only get AM!! LOL - you know these things cost so much that I should get AM/FM & podcasts! I have only a couple of years until I get a new one. Maybe I can get an upgraded model!

8/15/2006 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home