Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fireflies

As kids we loved to chase and catch fireflies. Now after learning a bit more about them I bet they were pretty mad when we disturbed them.

Read on...

There are 136 species of fireflies, each with a distinctive rate of flashes per second (produced by a chemical called luciferase), which they use to attract the opposite sex. Their favorite hangouts are east of the Rocky Mountains and away from the city lights. You'll see more of them in July, when the adults come out to mate. Oh yeah, and they're not flies -- they are beetles. (Info found in Real Simple magazine.)

Okay, so here we are, kids trying to catch these flying beetles with lit behinds trying to find the opposite sex to mate.

No wonder we don't see many anymore. The mating ritual gets interrupted by little people!

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

This caught my eye in your sidebar and I had to click before leaving. I just wrote @ fireflies, so I gotta add this to the post. It adds some twisted humor to an otherwise "serious" post (I was waxing poetic...**sigh**)

8/17/2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home