Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Innocence of Children, pt 2

One day, back in the 70s, my Mom and I were out shopping. We were at C.R. Anthony's buying some new clothes, I guess. We were having a great conversation just between mother and daughter. And then I asked her, "Mom, why is Daddy black?"

Without skipping a beat Mom said, "Just because he is." Of course there were others around us, but she didn't even look up from her shopping.

What makes the story even better is that my Daddy wasn't black. When I was a child, my Dad's job kept him working outside in the sun quite a bit. He tanned very easily, sometimes to the point that he could look like a black man. Until he put shorts on. Then everyone knew he was most certainly a white man.

I don't remember ever saying this, but have been told this story many, many times. I wonder if they are just making it up? (They aren't!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pioneer Woman said...

This is so funny---I thought my grandfather was black until I was about nine. He worked in the oil field and was tanner than tan. Lord knows how many of my childhood friends think I have black ancestors---I used to brag that I had a black grandpa.

6/14/2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

That is hilarious! My mom's maiden name is Mathis, so I used to brag that we were related to Johnny Mathis!!! Hey, we had the rhythm!! :)

6/14/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger M J said...

Hahaha. I remember asking mom why Dad was red. Us fair-skinned Scottish folk don't tan. We go lobster-like. And yes, I could definitely tell as well that he was a white man after donning a pair of shorts.

Too funny.

6/19/2006 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»

8/26/2006 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home