Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Good Ol' Days - 1958

A few years back my parents bought an old house that is just about a quarter of a mile from them. No one really understood why they bought it. It seems it was a good thing though. My sister lived there for a bit. Now my Aunt is living there. Right before we moved my Aunt into the house we went through all the stuff in the barns. It was a treasure hunt.

Dad was going through one area and I through another. I found receipts from the 30s and 40s. I also found a newspaper that was still rolled and had string tied around it. Not a rubberband, string...very delicate string. I unrolled the paper and here are a few things I found.

Date: Wednesday July 2, 1958
(McDreamy wasn't even a year old - and I was far from being born as my Dad was only 7 at this time.)

At Burton's Cafe - was Refrigerater Air Conditioned - Phone number 172
You could get a Sunday Dinner from 90¢ to $1.50. They served Kentucky Fried Chicken, Baked Hen, Lobster Tails, Catfish, Deviled Crab, etc. On weekdays the Merchant's lunches were 85¢ and a cup of Cain's coffee was 5¢. (They probably got free refills too!)

As for groceries the Sirloin Steaks were 89¢/lb, Club Steaks 79¢/lb, meadowlake margarine 29¢/lb, and Thompson Seedless Grapes 29¢/lb.

How about clothes: Sport shirts were 99¢, and Men's Khaki pants were $3.99.

And the primetime television programs were:
KWTV: 6:30 pm - Sing Along; 7 pm - Leave it to Beaver; 7:30 - Johnson Wax Theatre
WKY: 6:30 pm - Wagon Train; 7:30 - Father Knows Best

More to come....

3 Comments:

Blogger Karmyn R said...

That is so cool! When my great-grandma died, we found a box of Travel Journals of hers - they were just simple little notepads where she had recorded the places that they ate at or slept at during their vacations....a chicken dinner cost about 25c. So neat to see those old things!

7/07/2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh wow would have loved to see that

7/08/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

karmyn - Now that is neat!! That is certainly something you should hang on to. I love seeing old things like that.

dakota - it isn't in the best shape. Some little mouse got in there and it is kind of in pieces. But there is just enough for me to read some of the comics, classifieds, articles, etc. I will be posting more from 1958.

7/10/2006 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home