Monday, July 24, 2006

I love Baseball!!!


Back in 1992, our newlywed stage of life, McD asked me what I wanted to do for the weekend. I wanted to go to a Texas Rangers game in Arlington, Texas. At the time we lived 5 hours away and I didn't think there was any chance that we would go. But to my surprise, he said yes! So I got on the phone. Purchased tickets. Reserved a hotel room. And then most importantly I called my parents to tell them we were headed out. (Long story there - will leave for another time.)

We left the house and drove like maniacs to get there in time for the game. When we arrived, we were to go to the will call window to pick up our tickets. On our way there a nice gentleman approached us. A friend had given him some tickets so he would not be needing his usual seats. Would we like to use his tickets? Well, yeah! We thanked him for the tickets and then found the nearest usher to ask just exactly where the seats were. The usher told us they were great seats. Right off of first base. WOW!!! We thought that was the best thing that would happen that whole trip.

But.... Then....

They started announcing the line up for the Rangers. All of the fans were applauding for each player. Then they announced the pitcher. Nolan Ryan! Nolan. Ryan. The whole stadium stood up and cheered. The whole stadium except for McD and I. We were in total shock. Our jaws hit the cement. We had no clue Nolan was pitching! After the initial shock wore off we were standing and cheering with the rest of the crowd.

Not only was one of the best pitchers pitching, we were sitting close enough to actually see him. It was one of the best baseball games we ever went to.

3 Comments:

Blogger willowtree said...

You lucky bastard; Nolan Ryan!!! I love baseball too. I'm actually a qualified coach.

To save you the hassle of checking back for answers to your comments, I'll put them here:

Thanks for the compliment re. picture, Buddy doesn't mind thunder but Bentley is pitiful to watch.

Boy, do I empathise with you about no rain and scorched grass, our last summer was brutal, worse drought in 50 years.

Thanks for confirming the comments work :)

7/24/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

One more thing, did you get him to sign that picture?

7/24/2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

I practically grew up in the Houston Astrodome, from 1976 on...and let me tell you, my dad and I were such fans of the Houston Astros, that we would actually show up for batting practice!!

Nolan was one of my biggest sports heroes of the time, along with Earl Campbell and (much later) Hakeem Olajuwon.

I'm so jealous! (Even though I did see the White Sox play last year in Chicago, right before they won the World Series!)

7/24/2006 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home