Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Going Back in Time

Back to Wednesday, July 2, 1958.

As I thumbed through this mess of an old newspaper this morning I found an article that you just don't see in today's papers. Here it is:

Welcome Mat
Now making their home on Harvey Road are Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Crain and children, Sarah, 13 years old; Eddie, 15; and Carolyn, 16, former residents of Shidler, Oklahoma.
Welder for Kerr-McGee Oil Industries, Mr. Crain and his family attend the Methodist church.
-------------------------------------------------

There was also this little bit of information tossed in the mix of this paper. It was located at the end of an article that is about a Farewell party given to honor someone moving. Do they really still do that? Here is the information they found interesting then:

Families with an annual income averaging $4,000-5,000 purchase one-fifth of all consumer goods in the country.

I found it interesting anyway. More from 1958 another day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

How nice - to know that a community would bid farewell or welcome new members via the newspaper....

8/02/2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger willowtree said...

I think I remember reading that article when it was news!

8/02/2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

There is a small town about 20 miles from here that has a weekly newspaper that still has all that great stuff. PLUS, they have a section that does a 5 year, 10 year, 25 year, 50 year, etc.... review of something from the paper that week so many years ago.

8/03/2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Julie,
I think its about time for a Mia update, and maybe a pic too, please.

8/03/2006 7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love reading old papers lol. When I do research for geneology I come across things like that. Things like who was having a reunion and who was visiting who from out of town. Things that made the paper less depressing than reading all the news of today.

8/03/2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I can't imagine only making $4,000 a year. Hell. I'd be hard pressed to pay my bills over two months with that little cash.

(Yes, yes, I know, inflation...)

8/04/2006 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home