Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Remaining Tidbits of Not My Day to Die

After reading my two previous posts Part I and Part II I realized that I left some little things out that should be said.

First of all, Frank is my HERO!! I have had people ask me, "So, who would your hero be?" Well, I have a hero and his name is Frank. The day I dropped dead Frank was right behind me. Things happen for a reason, I believe this. If we had left the farm show we would have been on the road going to my birthday party and I wouldn't be here today. If Frank had not have been there I believe I wouldn't be here. The other guy that helped with CPR had to run to his car to get his little CPR mouthpiece. I know he ran, but I could have been a vegetable by the time he got back. Frank had taken the CPR training. Frank had used CPR on two other people before me. Both of them died. One of them was his Uncle. They said he left the booth at the farm show and went to the hospital. He was pretty shaken up. We now have "Our Anniversary." I will never forget April 17, 1999 and the man that saved my life. Every year I at least send him a card. The first 5 years I made sure he received a gift of some sort. Sometimes I send a plant but it will probably be cards for the most part. It got to be kind of hard to come up with creative gifts for him. (If you have a good idea, please comment.)

The day I left the hospital was my 29th birthday. Oh no - I guess you all know how old I am now! Please don't hold it against me Pamela. Apparently, while we were cruisin' the farm show I found a bracelet that I really liked. McD told one of the people I worked with to get the bracelet so he could get it without me knowing it. While I was in the hospital he, my whole family, and friends had a blast giving me that gift. I call it cruelty but I guess I played right along. But I wasn't playing. Here is how it went (or as I was told):

McD: Happy Early Birthday!!! Here's your gift. (I don't know if it was in a box or gift bag or anything.)

ME: Oh I love it!!! Thank you!

(Less than 5 minutes later...or when another person arrived that had not witnessed the cruelty.)

McD: Happy Early Birthday!!!! Here's your gift.

ME: Oh I love it!!! Thank you!!

I couldn't remember crap! If someone walked out of the room and then back in I greeted them like I hadn't seen them yet. :) Needless to say, they had too much fun with that and today they still laugh about it. Of course how could you not laugh at that. I do. I shouldn't say this, but since McD already knows this (although he will act like he didn't) I can't figure out what I liked about the bracelet. When I recovered I asked him if I REALLY wanted it, or if I was just being nice when I said I liked it. I hardly ever wear the bracelet, but will keep it forever!

My life now with my heart condition. Since I do have the implanted defibrillator I have to go in every 6 months for them to check the battery, wires, and to see if I had any more episodes aka shocks. After years of wondering I was finally told that "more than likely" it was a virus in my heart. They actually said, more than likely. Oh my! I was told that my battery would last around 8 to 10 years. It depends on how many times it shocks me. I will probably have it for 9 or 10 years. Hopefully they are smaller next time. I have an exact replica (minus all the wires and computer chips) that I will take a photo of so you can see one. I am not on any medication, thank goodness! The only thing that is a pain is the airport thing I mentioned in an earlier post. And magnets! I cannot wear magnet nametags or get a magnet close to my chest or my chest starts beeping. It is just one constant beeeeeeeeeeeep, but it is embarrasing. I am not supposed to ride roller coasters (which I love) or anything too adventurous. That is okay. I will take the life or roller coaster trade off.

And since I received emails and comments on how I shouldn't start posts about something like this and then stop midstream. I am finishing this one. I apologize in advance for it being too long. WT - I understand if you don't read it all in one sitting.

The Shock of my life! Cheeky commented that she knew someone in school that had a defibrillator and that they could tell when he got his little shocks. I know nothing of a little shock. Apparently they had my settings different than his. A few months after everything happened McD and I went to the lake with his family. I LOVE going to the lake!!! I was raised going to the lake. McD and I took our SeaDoo and away we went. We cruised the lake several times before I finally told him that I wished he would at least drive the thing. He was putting around like an old person. Inner tube floaters were passing us!! Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it was slow. I like going fast! Doing 360ºs. All of it! He decided that I should drive because I would know better what I could handle. My wound was still healing, and I think he was just afraid he would hurt me. (I was pretty thin and fragile looking, but felt okay.)

I jumped at the chance to drive the SeaDoo. I hadn't been able to for months, this was our first trip back to the lake. I kicked it up to about 45 mph and hit a 360º. As the nose of the SeaDoo was coming out of the water (coming out of the donut) my defibrillator shocked me. The shock knocked me to the back of the SeaDoo (a three-seater) and McD was having to hang on. It nearly knocked him off of it, he was on the edge. He felt the shock through both of our life jackets. This was the first time I realized that there really was something wrong with my heart. I couldn't remember any thing that happened to cause me to get the defib. So this was my eye opener. The shock took a lot out of me. Probably because I was so weak still. McD left me in front of him and I was just kind of limp. I was bent over with my head resting kind of on the handlebars. Then I remembered that McD's oldest brother was there. He had just lost his son in a car wreck. I didn't want him to see me all limp laying over the handlebars so I leaned back against McD. I tried my hardest not to lose it (cry) but when I saw his face I couldn't hold it in. He was white as a sheet. I felt so bad for scarying him. But I was okay. We went to the doctor the next day and they just had my settings too low. They increased the settings so now my heartrate has to get up to 214 beats before I get a shock, or it has to get really, really low. I haven't had a shock since. Thank goodness. It felt like I was kicked by a horse, I hope I never get shocked again.

Again, sorry this is so long!

12 Comments:

Blogger M J said...

Just, wow. It most certainly wasn't your time to die. This story is AMAZING! I can't imagine what the shock must feel like. Unreal!

8/15/2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

Goodness gracious girl. That is one heck of a story. So glad you are still around to tell it.
The birthday gift thing cracked me up.
Not to take anything away from anyone who helped give you CPR that day but, seriously, one guy ran to his car to get his mouthpiece? Dude, no time and no need for that! It's called mouth-to-mouth for a reason.
Frank though is indeed a hero. I wish I had some fabulous idea of something you could give him or do for him every year but I've got nothing. I'm sure a simple card makes him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And like most true herso, I'm sure he wouldn't expect a thing from you. I'm sure insists that he simply did what he had to do. And that is what makes a hero.
(Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you come back soon.)

8/15/2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Yes, Frank is a definately a HERO! Makes me want to send him a card too!

Glad you don't get shocked too often - that would make my heart race just thinking about it and then I would get shocked and then I would be anxious - it would be a vicious cycle...although Mr. Cheeky and the kids would get a kick out of it - they are twisted that way...hehe

8/15/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Never apologize for a post to be too long - especially when it is such a good story!!!

You received a truly special gift that day! Way to go Frank!

8/15/2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

All three parts were just the right length and extremely well written, let's face it, a second grader could have made that story sound interesting given the subject matter. But you also made it a good read in its own right.

btw. we already knew how old you were, you just had to pay attention - McD was almost one in 1958 and you're 14 years younger, that info and a calculator should to do it. (I'm a programmer what can I say)

8/15/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Your story is awesome; one of the most amazing true stories I've read. And I'm with WT...I had already figured out your age. I was born in 1958 so I didn't even need a calculator..ha, ha!

8/15/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

wow. looks like I came in at the good part. What an amazing story. And your photography is jaw-dropping.

8/15/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

I can just imagine how McD must have felt. . .You must thank God everyday for introducing you all in church!

8/15/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Silly Hily - I completely agree! The man, Paul, that ran to get his precious mouthpiece was recognized as one of the men that saved my life in our company newsletter. I thanked him, but I don't send him anything on the anniversary. (I plan on checking in on you more frequently!) Thanks for dropping by!!

Cheeky - my whole family would get a kick out of it now that they know everything is okay. They are sick! Sick and wrong! But oh so fun!!! Frank would not know what to do if he received cards from others! He is such a quiet, shy kind of guy! But nice of you to think about it. (And I can always provide an address if you insist.) :)

Karmyn - I was afraid if I didn't put it all out there at once I might get some more mean emails! (They weren't mean! And I loved it!)

I sure wish Frank could read all of these comments! It would make his day! I may find a way to have him look at it.

WT - thank you for saying it was well written. And to everyone else - I did not pay him to say that (yet). I am not a writer and do not claim to be. :)

WT & Songbird - I just didn't know if anyone paid attention earlier. LOL McD turned one in Dec. 1958. :) We tease him and say he is a classic! :)

Mary - Thank you - Thank you! And thanks for stopping by.

Sha - Okay. I have tried to figure out what you mean here. LOL the "God introducing you all in church!" comment. LOL I've re-read what I wrote and church wasn't in there. McD and I met in church. I think you knew that, but couldn't figure out how that fit. I have gone to church since I was a child, the same church (not the same building but same denomination - but let's not talk religion.) :) Instead of racking my brain anymore I am just going to ask - WHAT?

8/15/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm late as usual, reading posts.
It's a great read - I'm sorry you had to live it - But I'm glad you lived to share it.


Your story reminds me a bit of my neice (Karmyns cousin) who is in her early 40' She had a fender bender in the parking garage of a hospital (!!) and was preparing to hop in the tow truck when the security guard stopped her (long story there) .... but she ended up having a heart attack. It would have been fatal had she gone on the truck.
So she has a "frank" too.

Angels, maybe?

8/16/2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

You're "not a writer"?? Try again.

For Frank... chapstick? breathmints?? a sexy little teddy??? (since y'all's first meeting included him putting his lips against yours)

I think I found you via Cheeky and then I found Willowtree and MJ and the rest is history.

Sometimes I wish there weren't so many great blogs to read...:/

8/17/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yes, we need more Franks in this world... great story - glad you are still around to tell it !!

8/21/2006 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home