Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Too Many Tomatoes?

Do you have too many tomatoes? This is a true story.

This past weekend I was cleaning house and I went through all my old magazines that I kept meaning to go through. Here's what I do. I go through each magazine and tear out any recipe I like, or anything that I think I might like to put in the new house (you know, to add to my notebook). I was going through all the magazines (Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple) finding all kinds of goodies when I found a recipe for Ancho Chile Tomato Sauce. As soon as I read the recipe I thought of Jessie and Ree with all of there tomatoes.

Then this morning I read Jessie's blog this morning and she needs recipes.
So Jessie, this one's for you!

Ancho Chile Tomato Sauce

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes

2 1/4 lb. tomatoes (5 or 6)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Ancho Chile powder
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil or cilantro (Basil in your case Jessie)
3/4 teaspoon salt

1. Core tomatoes and cut in half; squeeze out and discard seeds. Cut tomatoes in chunks. One-third at a time, place tomato chunks in food processor bowl or blender container. Process with several on/off turns; tomatoes should remain chunky. Transfer to medium bowl. You should have about 3 1/4 cups tomatoes. Set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender but not brown (3 minutes). Stir in garlic and chile powder; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer gently, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in basil and salt; heat through. Makes 3 cups.

Test Kitchen tip: Double the recipe and make several batches of sauce to store. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week, or freeze up to 3 months.

Each serving (1/4 cup): 40 cal, 3g fat (0g sat. fat), 0 mg chol, 150 mg sodium, 4g carbo, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Daily Values: 17% vit. A, 16% vit. C, 1% calcium, 2% iron.

(Taken from the Better Homes and Gardens September 2006 Issue.)

Enjoy! And let us know how it turns out, if you decide to make it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

That sounds great! I'll definitely have to try it and I'll let you know how it is. Thanks!

8/23/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

What pasta would you put over this?

8/23/2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/23/2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

How did you know that I had tooooooo many tomatoes? This recipe sounds simple and delicious. I'll try it :)

8/23/2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

mmmm..... sounds so good!

8/23/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

That sounds nice, might even grow some tomatoes this year.

Point of interest, if you ever hear of people cooking with coriander, they are cooking with cilantro, its just another name.

8/23/2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe...I have a refrigerator full of tomatoes and will try this tomorrow.

8/23/2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Debs said...

Sounds good. To bad I am not a cook :P

8/23/2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

The recipe sounds delicious! Unfortunately, the tomato crop around here was not too good. Too dry and too hot.

8/23/2006 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horshach, Rorschach, Kotter, Cotter...Me thinks you're correct.

8/23/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

WillowTree...I always thought coriander was the dried seed and cilantro was the fresh herb.

Whoever makes this first, please send my invitation for dinner...

8/23/2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home