Thursday, August 31, 2006

You Asked - Round 4, Part 2

If you are just joining us you should at least read the previous post to kind of catch up. On we go.

At our church we had these groups called Brothers Keepers Groups. And our group did Pie Ministries. We would pick a person to go and visit that might need encouragement or support and take a few pies to their house. While we were there we would eat pie, duh!, play a little game that someone came up with to kind of help get to know different things about each other. I am reaching here, because for the life of me I can't remember the game. Sunday evening came around and we were supposed to be doing a pie ministry that night but the people we had chosen were not home. Right then a little light bulb went off above my head, like in the cartoons. :) I thought, I am sure McD needs a little encouragement since he is going through a divorce and all. Plus I wanted to see where he lived. I know, sneaky, but it got me in the door. He lived in an apartment above one of our friends' Funeral Home. Really!

My birthday was a few days away. And guess who showed up to my birthday party, my 20th birthday party. Oh and he bought me a card. The cheesiest card ever! With all kinds of glitter. It was such a "girly" card, I thought, "Wow, this guy has a lot to learn about me." LOL And he did. I am so NOT a girly girl. He played all the lame games and even smiled and laughed, and acted like he had a good time. He wore his Levi's, a red long-sleeve Nike t-shirt (the nike and swoosh were navy blue), and Reebok tennis shoes (it wasn't cool to call them athletic shoes back then).

After the party we started talking on the phone more, seeing more of each other, yada yada yada. You know, the typical dating stuff. Going out to eat, movies, baseball games, football games, concerts, etc.

After the Joe Walsh concert he totaled my New car. Then I cut my really long hair off. I am talking shaved in the back. I loved it! But I knew my Dad wouldn't. And my Dad hadn't met McD yet, seen my hair or been told about it, but HAD heard that he had totaled my car. My Dad was not the friendly sort. He was a pretty buff man, and I am not just saying that because he is my Dad. He was pretty scary looking, that is what McD said. But with all that stuff mentioned earlier going against him, he met my Dad anyway. I am a Big Daddy's Girl! I just knew Dad wouldn't talk to him, might acknowledge him, but hold a conversation - No way! We were going to meet my family at a restaurant, so everyone could meet him. When we arrived they (he and my Dad) said hello, shook hands, sat across from each other at the table and then it started. The stare down. No, not really. The conversations! I was shocked! This is the first time my Dad had "talked" to a guy that I brought around. I dated a guy for almost 3 years and Dad hardly ever spoke to him. So I knew that this one was special. I knew I had to keep him around, for a little while anyway.

Okay guys, don't hunt me down and kill me! Please!! If you do how will you ever be able to read Part 3. I have to get to bed. We are leaving to go see the kids in the morning and I will try to get up early enough to post the Rest of The Story (I love Paul Harvey).

Good Night! Or G'Day to you WT!

5 Comments:

Blogger Swampwitch said...

Sounds as though your dad was a good judge of character... what kind of car was it? ...waiting for The Rest of the Story, Paul.

8/31/2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Now you're really starting to piss me off.

You know I'm just kidding, this is going great. A real treat to read, I don't mind how many parts it ends up, it's a real nice story.

8/31/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Oh, I almost forgot. My future inlaws refused to see me, and this is after driving all the way from San Jose to Los Angeles just so we could meet.

Eventually they came around but it took a while. What really pisses me off is that Anglos are always getting critised for racial predjudice but it goes both ways and no-one seems to notice.

8/31/2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

AAARRRGGGHHHH!! You better finish this tale before you leave for Creede!!
On an unrelated note....since my True Grit post the theme song has been stuck in my head. I'm sure you know it....come on...sing it with me.....

8/31/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger M J said...

I'm laughing.. because I can see you most certainly did not go to bed.

I would use your middle name if I knew it "young lady." Sorry, I was at my parents place tonight and a bit rubbed off on me. No more "young lady's" I promise.

8/31/2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home