Sunday, September 17, 2006

Oklahoma - Where the West Remains

R.W. Hampton

Last night we went to a great concert - Oklahoma, Where the West Remains.
R.W. Hampton teamed up with our local Symphony Orchestra to celebrate our great state turning 100 next year. It was a premiere concert. They plan on taking this show around the state and possibly even taking it to the Kennedy Center. It was amazing. Every time I hear R.W. sing I walk away knowing that I did not just waste that hour or two of my life. It is certainly time well spent. His voice is amazing. And he is such a nice man. We have been fortunate enough to get to know him a little bit.

Our day started with the Cherokee Strip parade. We were kind of roped into the deal. I do not like being roped into anything, but we went along with it but next time it will be a different story. At first people organizing this whole thing wanted McD to drive our team of horses and pull our wagon. But our girl Babe was a bit lame from a hoof injury. She is fine, it was just sore and we didn't think she needed to be pulling in a parade. Another thing is that they haven't been in a parade in three years, so I wouldn't be comfortable torturing them like that. I guess I should say, I do not like parades. Never have.

We ended up riding in a wagon with McD's bank banners all over it. We had the wagon full of friends , and R.W. McD's bank contributed quite a bit of moula to make this concert possible. I do have to say, it was money well spent. The mules that were pulling our wagon had not been in a parade before so we were a bit scared at first. We had two outriders.

007


Slick

They did a really good job as outriders, and most importantly, I think they had a good time doing it. The team settled down, and did really well. We didn't lose anyone off of the wagon, came close to losing R.W. once but I reached out to him just in time. Let's just say I got to know him even more on that little wagon ride. :) The kids had fun. Even the adults had fun.

I was lazy that afternoon though. I layed on the couch watching football and napping for most of the afternoon. Karmyn asked who I was going for between the Sooners and the Ducks since I am a OSU Cowboys fan. Well, I happen to be one of the few people that will root for both teams from Oklahoma. So, to answer your question Karmyn, I was going for the Sooners. And we got robbed!!! I'm telling you that those zebras need glasses. :) Bad, bad calls towards the end of the game. Oh well. It happens. But my Cowboys won!!

Then we went to the concert mentioned above. I just have to say this. If you like cowboy music, poetry, or just to hear excellent entertainment go to an R.W. Hampton concert. You can go to his website and see the upcoming concerts that are scheduled. And if I hear of anything I will let you all know. I know this. He will be here in town again this afternoon with our Symphony Orchestra and I am telling everyone I know that they need to go. :)

13 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

I have always wanted to know someone named Slick.

And yes, the Sooners were robbed. Being from Nebraska, I am not a Sooner fan, but even I have to admit that some of those calls were just out there.

The Huskers lost too. We played USC last night and unfortunately we were not robbed, we just gave them the game on a platter.

9/17/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Sounds like a wonderful concert! I couldn't get R.W Hampton's link to work off your post. I will google him when I finish this comment.

9/17/2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Laura - Ha! Well, no one really calls him Slick. One time my Dad couldn't remember his name so he called him Slick. That is where I got the nickname for him. We usually call him Slim around here. :)

Songbird - I checked into the link problem and it has been corrected. Thanks for letting me know. It really was a great concert. When he sang Oklahoma! the whole place was rockin'. I can't describe it in words, but it was great!

9/17/2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

This post makes me homesick. Thanks for a little taste of of Oklahoma today. Here in the high desert, there was "frost on the punkin' this mornin' "

9/17/2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Wow! What an amazing weekend you had. I'm jealous!! Even a recluse like me would have made the effort to be involved in a weekend like that.

Sorry, but I won't be able to make it to his second concert either...it's already tomorrow over here.

9/17/2006 5:21 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend. . .

Not much for parades myself. . .

9/18/2006 6:32 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I LOVE the musical Oklahoma - so anyone singing that song is GREAT in my book.

I know WE had a good weekend (bad calls or not). Yes even my husband admitted the on-side kick catch was a little iffy - BUT, he did tape the show and has watched the catch about 20 times and says "It was too close to call."

At least your Cowboys won - OH HEY! The Dallas Cowboys won too - and here is a bit of trivia for you. I went to highschool and college with Drew Bledsoe! (he was a year younger than me in school - I never paid attention to him)

9/18/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

If I'm ever in Oklahoma...guess I know what I'll be doing :).

9/18/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Waahooo!!!!! I'm caught up w/Last Chance Ranch! And, given where I am right now, that is no small feat.

9/18/2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

I echo everyone else. It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend, which is something everyone deserves.
My TN Vols lost to the freakin' FL Gators by ONE freakin' point and it freakin' sucked. Bah.

9/18/2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Hey Robin, are you talking about your avatar?

9/18/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I ♥ me some cowboy music and poetry.

I know there is nothing more silly than an old suburban woman who's gone ass over teakettle with cowboys, but...I have and it's a done deal.

I have seen and heard, up close like and personal Waddie Mitchel, Don Edwards, Sons of the San Joaquin and bunches of others because.....
this place
is here in town and when they come in to record, they usually have a concert.
Not to mention that we have the Flyin' W Wranglers here in town!

So glad you had a great weekend.

Oh yeah, one last thing,
dang fool bull.
♥Pam

9/18/2006 10:23 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I thought I read somewhere that Mules were more reliable than horses.

I'm going to check out Hampton's website.

9/24/2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home