Sunday, September 24, 2006

Road Hazards


While on our way home from Creede last time this is what we found on the side of the road. Actually, what caught our attention were the two vehicles pulled over on the side of the highway. There was a white suburban with one of its passengers standing on top of it with either a camera or binoculars. The other vehicle was pulled over and the passengers just looking out the window, if you are wondering it was a red Grand Am, 4 door. I can remember silly little things like that.

We were passing those vehicles mumbling something about they probably see a buffalo or something. Yadayadayada. Then I glance over and see the bear. "STOP! It's a bear," I yelled. McD pulled over quickly. He loves bears! I am shaking while I am trying to get my camera out. Then, I have to change lenses. I don't think I am ever prepared. I am standing out on the side of the road watching for the bear because he had gone over a small hill. The antelope were running everywhere. They must have caught wind of this big guy and were getting the you know what out of dodge. Finally, I tell him that I am going to have to get on top of the Jeep if I want to get any shots of this guy. He didn't want me to. Why? I dunno. I took probably 25 photos, after I got on top of the Jeep. :) You didn't think I was just gonna stand on the side of the road did you? I even had him cruising on the shoulder of the road while I was on top of the car. We were going slow. Yes, I know how dangerous it is. But there was a bear on the side of the road. This is only the second bear I have seen out in the open. (Not counting zoos.)

This second photo is one I was playing with in Photoshop. I Y Photoshop! Anyway, I thought this shot looked good as a watercolor. What do you think?

I guess I should say that we were about 100 yards from the bear. We were at a safe distance. I wanted to cross the fence and get a little closer, but McD put his foot down on that one. He said he would go but I couldn't. How much sense does that make? I am the one with the camera.

9 Comments:

Blogger SongBird said...

How cool that you saw a bear!! The pictures are great. He looks as though he has a lighter "saddle" of fur. I guess he is growing his winter coat or maybe he never finished shedding last year's winter coat? Is it a grizzly? Doesn't look like the black bears I've seen. I wanted to see a grizzly so bad when I was in Yellowstone, but I only saw black bears.

9/24/2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Dear Yogi and Boo Boo...great pictures... it's so good to be home at my own computer and not trying to find a wireless connection...rebooting the router that's in a closet somewhere... the pics of the "bar" are great. I hope to continue my "tootering" sometime soon. I don't like the green bar around my pictures. And, by the way, I notice some new pics floating at the top of your page, Ladybug. Any news about revisiting Colorado soon?

9/24/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

That is so cool!! I don't blame you for stopping, but of course, i still get excited when I see deer on the side of the road!!
I meant to ask...what are you studying?

9/24/2006 10:54 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

hey Julie...just got your comment! I bow to the Queen! You rock!
and Finance, Economics, Accounting...you have my respect!! some of it is interesting, and so much of it is way over my head. My niece (17yr old) will be heading to college somewhere next year, and I told her if she doesn't know what to study, go for business because no matter what, she will be able to use what she learns!

9/24/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm shaking my head in disbelief that you got up on top of the vehicle to photo a bear.
There's a moose in our town again and I'm going to get a picture of it... well...if I see it.

Hey....I'm still on bigfoot's trail, (:


(PS. WT gave me a link that gave instructions to fix FIREFOX not reloading. ... I'm trying to remember where/what/how. It was quite simple. Send him a message - maybe he still has it. I'll look too)

9/25/2006 12:31 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

COOLCOOLCOOL! Tad took a picture of his bear sighting when he and Rachel went out west last month, problem is, THE BEAR WAS GONE BY THE TIME HE GOT THE CAMERA OUT--It's a picture of him POINTING to where the bear was (too funny).

I woulda done the same thing as you! And I've never seen a bear in the wild, but I swear, one of the last times I went camping, I heard those muthas all night long.

9/25/2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Awesome bear photos!

My father-in-law has been "tangling" with a local bear that had been hurting and killing his dogs, as well as stealing dog/cat food off his carport.

My father-in-law is 82 - and his "shot" of the intruder was a little different.

I like your watercolor photo a LOT!

9/25/2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

At Yellowstone they call that collection of cars on the side of the road...a 'bear jam'.
teeehhheeehehehe.
Cool. We saw a 'moose jam' outside Teton NP a couple years back. Definitely jealous you saw bear in CO.

We should get SW and maybe some other CO bloggers together the next time you are in CO and have an impromptu blogging convention!!!
♥Pam

9/25/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

WOW - great shots of the bear!!! That was worth pulling over for.

9/26/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home