Monday, October 16, 2006

Cadillac Ranch Chili

This here is a recipe that I found while shopping for a friend. She loves to cook and loves cookbooks. It is a western cookbook and has favorite recipes from lots of country & western singers, actors, television personalities, etc. As we were on our way home from shopping I was thumbing through it and found this recipe. Then I had to write it down before I wrapped the book. (Wrapping consisted of a gift bag and tissue paper. Ha!)

This recipe didn't just sound good, it just happened to be one of our favorite singer's recipe. Chris LeDoux. We saw him several times in concert, read his book, have lots of his older music and his new. He was a good guy. It was sad to hear of his passing. This chili is named after one of his songs, Cadillac Ranch. And here it is:

2 lbs. hamburger
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 - 16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 Bay leaf
2 to 3 Tbsp chili powder
1 to 2 - 15 oz. cans chili beans

Fry hamburger, garlic, green pepper, and onions on medium heat until meat is browned. Drain off excess drippings. Add tomato sauce, bay leaf, chili powder, and beans. Cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour and eat. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Hope you all enjoy!

11 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

I've tried other chili recipes before, but my husband only likes it when I use his great grandfather's recipe (which I have to admit is pretty amazing). It has a lot of the same ingredients as this one, except diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, more onions, beer, and a secret spice mixture.

Great. Now I'm craving chili. :)

10/16/2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

I was just wondering what to have for supper (dinner) tonight, and now I know. Thanks for the recipe.
Mrs.CA: Secret spice ingredients? Come on...share. :)

10/16/2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

P.S. Around here, we call it:
Cattle Lack Ranch Chili. Watch for the unveiling of Another Chance Ranch residents and my moon... today if Blogger cooperates. I have linked several other bloggin' buddies to the posts with their own renditions of their moons.

10/16/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

8-10 servings? whoa! I'll be eating that all week!! I might have to tweak the portions...

10/16/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

I LOVE Chili! And this looks pretty dang simple compared to the chili I normally make. I'll have to try it out.

and Claudia - That is what a FREEZER is for - freeze some of it for another day!!!!!

10/16/2006 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that song when I was in college. My friends and I used to roll down the car windows and sing that song at the top of our lungs as we zipped down the highway.

The recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, congrats on your new grandbaby

10/16/2006 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about being thorough. I'm glad you added the last instruction to the recipe: cook for 30 minutes to an hour eat. I would have just sat there staring at it otherwise.

I might give this one a go, I think I can get all the ingredients. Thanx.

10/16/2006 7:19 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

tomorrow will you be posting audio?

(giggle)

10/16/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Whoosh ! And just like that Swampwitch was wiped off BloggerGlobber Planet.
Talk about bummed. My post for Ben in Iraq was the most important one for me yet, and it was gone. The whole darn thing was gone. Thanks for your reply. I've taken up enough comment space for now, but please remind me to tell you what Hans said about losing my "glob."

10/16/2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Great recipe. Almost like mine I don't use a bay leaf. Next time I'll try that.

I collect cookbooks but never use them.

10/17/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

WT did you go to beta? there isn't a link to your name. What is going on? Oh and I just typed what the recipe said. So, maybe he thought we all needed that little extra instruction.

Jessie - I know the whole secret ingredient thing. I make some cookies and have a special ingredient and for that reason can't post the recipe.

I hope everyone tries it and enjoys it.

Pamela - maybe I should have put that everyone must take BEANO before consuming the chili. :) I have found something other than beano that works as well. So, if you ever need anything let me know. :) And don't forget - mine were SBD.

Swampy - glad you have your glob back.

Vicki - I have gotten to where I have so many cookbooks that I don't get a chance to use them all the time. When we get the house built and all of the cookbooks in one place I am going to do a rotation with them. :)

10/17/2006 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home