Friday, July 07, 2006

To Trust or Not To Trust?

That is the question.

McD and I have been married almost 15 years. This story begins when we were first married. It should have ended last year, but his cruelty has been implanted into my brain and I just can't shake it.

When we first got married, I was quite young. McD is a bit older than me, 14 yrs, he had a college education, owned his own business, yada yada yada.

Now keep in mind, we live in Oklahoma. I have an accent, most of the time I sound like a hick. I can't help it.

One day we were driving down the road and I asked him, "How do you say pinch?" I then said, "Is it Pinch or Peench?" I was being serious. I was brought up saying some really strange things that meant something else, and I wanted to know the correct way to pronounce Pinch.

He told me it was Peench.

I believed him, because he was the professional. He wouldn't steer me wrong. He wouldn't want his new bride to sound ignorant (or ignernt).

Now fast forward 14 years...

I honestly don't remember how it got brought up. I think I asked him the exact same question again. And he told me, "Pinch." I let him have it. I had been saying "Peench" for 14 years! PEENCH! It is Pinch! I said Peench one day at work, and the debate was on. I even went to the doctor and asked him how he said it. Of course it was Pinch. Why wouldn't I just go with that? But no, why would my loving husband steer me wrong? So I went with Peench.

McD and I were on the road when the 2nd Peench or Pinch conversation came up, he was driving, He was laughing so hard I thought we were going to have to pull over. He was crying he was laughing so hard. I was laughing because he was laughing. I tried to make him feel bad for steering me wrong and that now I am sure people were laughing at me. But it just made him laugh harder.

Now when I say Pinch, I have to really think about it. I have to say it to myself to make sure I am saying it right. And a lot of the times Peench comes out instead. And he still laughs when I say it!

What the crap?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

this went on for 14 years?!!oh goodness. lol

7/08/2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. Visiting via the Blogging Chicks list (I'm new). I'm sorry but I don't understand your husband's humor. I wouldn't do that to someone I love.

7/08/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Don't you just want to peench him!!

You think you've got trouble, I've been married 25 years - I'm Australian (really bad accent) and my wife is from LA. I don't think we say more than two words the same as each other.

7/10/2006 1:44 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

Can't believe he steered you wrong! At least he's not like my husband who tries to get me to believe ridiculous things (like the sun is going to burn out by the end of the year) because I'm super gullible (to be fair - the sun one was early in the morning before a shower or coffee, and who would be aware enough to realize that's bull that early?). Then he laughs at me for days when I fall for it. But if I make fun of him once, he gets all sulky. Men!

7/10/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

dakota - LOL, yea guess I am pretty naive. Or was it trusting? :) We still get a kick out of it.

alyx - he says that he really thought I knew he was pulling my leg. I don't mind. What can I say, it is never dull around here. (Don't ya just love the bloggingchicks blogroll?)

Willowtree - that is great! Now I don't feel so alone. :) And I am the typical American - I LOVE to hear you Aussies speak! You could record yourself like Pioneer Woman. :)

Mrs. Ca - Glad you are back! Hope you had fun!!! Like I said I was pretty young, and naive I guess. I caught on quick and question alot of what is said. LOL It keeps things fun though. We still get a big kick out of that story. And yea, the men don't usually want the story repeated if they sound like a goof. :)

7/10/2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I'm visiting via Blogging Chicks too...My hubby & I have been married 14 1/2 yrs. When we first married, we were watching The World Series together. I had been sheltered from baseball, apparently, and didn't know all the rules. The announcers were making a comment about a hitter who was 35 yrs. old. When he got on base, they brought in a pinch runner....I asked hubby about why they did that? He said (with a very straight face) "Oh, because they don't let guys over 30 run the bases. Someone else has to come in and do it for them." I was totally appalled and ranted about that being unfair for quite a while. Finally he burst out laughing and I realized I had been "had." We still laugh about that little known baseball rule.

I enjoyed reading your blog. I'll be back! (She says in her best "Arnie" voice.)

7/14/2006 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home